Saturday, December 31, 2011

My thoughts to my children on New Year's Eve 2011

To Stephanie~

My oldest :) Sometimes I'm surprised you survived my parenting! I surely tried to do things by the book with you, along with a healthy dose of advice from your Grammie and your Grandma. This past year has been one of many many emotions for me. So much pride and accomplishment in watching you graduate and then the journey of choosing colleges and the messy map of how to get it paid for! What an adventure this year has been. It has been hard for me watching you have grown up problems, e.g. love life, paying bills, moving, etc., but also another opportunity for me to glow with pride at how you've come through it all. Your dad and I continue to comment on how we see you more now that you've 'moved away to college' than when you lived at home! This past year has been focused on graduation and what the future will hold. My wish for you in 2012 is to appreciate where you are and to just take a minute to slow down and experience things one day at a time. College will go quickly I'm sure, just as high school did and then you'll have more responsibilities. I love you Stephanie and continue to beam with pride at the young lady you have become. Happy New Year! Love Mom

To Brennan~

My sonshine. When you were diagnosed with Autism, I didn't know what the future would hold for you. I didn't know if you would get a job, learn to live independently, or drive. This past year you have worked so hard. You have fought your way through regular education with some help of some great mentor teachers. You learned to drive (and I only have a few more gray hairs) and you got a job. You are learning to manage your money and to take on more adult responsibilities. You have learned to stand up for yourself and to help others. You have close friends and a family that loves you. The things you have achieved are all things I had hoped for you but wondered if you would be able to achieve them and you certainly did! 2012 will bring with it the start of your Senior year, which is beyond hard for me to believe. My wish for you in 2012 is to work hard to become all you can be and don't let setbacks get in your way! You are an amazing young man and I know you can do it! Happy New Year! Love Mom

To Kristina~

My babygirl. Perhaps there will come a day when I don't call you my baby girl. Maybe you'll be 40 or 60 or maybe you'll always be my baby girl! This year you will turn 16 and will get your driver's license. It is hard for me to let you go, more than you will ever know until you're a mom yourself. You have always been strong and capable and I need to remind myself of that! You are an amazing smart young lady with a bright future ahead of you. My wish for you in 2012 is to continue to work hard in keeping a little bit of yourself for you and to appreciate the world around you and to enjoy the moment you are in right now. High school is a fleeting time. Enjoy being 16, work hard and bloom where you are planted. Your name Kristina, means little christian girl...continue to grow in Faith and truth. I couldn't be more proud of you! Happy New Year! Love, Mom

1 comment:

trash said...

Oh! Such lovely lovely words.