Tuesday, June 21, 2011

In 30 minutes or less

The time leading up to my daughter's graduation was certainly a roller coaster of emotions for me. I spent a lot of time crying happy tears as well as I can't believe it's over tears. I cried them not only for my daughter but for at least 20 of her closest friends. I went to many end of the year performances where I watched out of the corner of my eye. If I were to watch too closely and realize this is the last this or this is the last that...the tears would flow. When graduation day finally came....no tears! I was pretty sure they were all out...until now.

It's graduation party time and that means creating a "Joyous one, this is your life" video. I'm not sure how you summarize 18 wonderful years in 30 minutes or less, but I have done my best. As I walked into the video store with pictures, videos, music in hand...the tears began to flow. Thankfully, a family friend is making her video so I was among understanding company :). After a bit of a struggle at the door, a thought popped into my mind. 'Be grateful you are creating her graduation video and not an end of life story'. If've had friends that have lost their children at tragically young ages due to very tragic circumstances and once I got things in perspective, I was able to go through the pictures and videos and realize what a celebration this is....with no tears. I am blessed to have raised a successful young lady with a good head on her shoulders. I couldn't be more proud of her. I so enjoyed watching her baby videos...her sweet face, her cute waves, and best of all her saying, "Grammie! Take a picta of me making this face!" Pictures of soccer, dance, softball, birthday parties, sleep overs, dragways, playing in the front yard, plays, musicals, and honors societies. It has been one amazing ride...one that I will summarize in 30 minutes or less...with joy in my heart.

No comments: