Sunday, March 1, 2009

Scrumptious Sunday...

When I go to the grocery store lately, I often feel like I'm risking burning my fingers when I take something off the shelf and put it in my buggy. Let me tell you why...prices are so high, it is really quite astounding. I went to the grocery store today and generic veggies were ON SALE for $1 a can. $1?!? Are you kidding me? So many times I go to reach for something and then my eye sees the price which results in my hand recoiling as if I just touched a hot stove. So...in honor of soaring food prices, today's Scrumptious Sunday...is for all of you trying to feed a family on a budget. Now...I have to give a disclaimer that perhaps this recipe doesn't look or sound appealing, but it is really quite tasty. We don't have a name for this item...so call it what you like. We call it rice stuff.

Ingredients...
1/2 stick margarine
1 cup chopped celery
1 lb. or so ground chuck
2 cans chicken noodle soup
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 milk
1 box (4 2 cup pouches) of Boil-in-bag rice
Salt
Pepper
Shredded Cheddar

Begin by sauteing onion and celery in margarine in dutch oven. Add ground chuck and brown. Meanwhile begin boiling rice. Add 4 cans of soup and 1/2 cup milk to ground beef mixture and stir well. (Use a spatula to chop the noodles in the chicken noodle soup while stirring) Once rice has reached desired doneness, add to ground beef mixture and stir. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes and add a cup or two of shredded cheddar just before serving. Yum.my. This recipe will feed a family of five and you'll have some leftover for lunch.



I like to add some yummy corn bread muffins

And serve with green beans. Enjoy!

No comments: