Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Close your eyes and remember...

One of the best memories I have as a child was the amazing decorating that went on at my Gramma Stockenburg's house and her sister's house...My Aunt Vi and Uncle Alan. Although they have all passed on...the memories are alive and well in my mind. I believe I've mentioned in a previous post the amazing holidays my Gramma Stockenburg used to host, and although it's not clear to me when we were at Auntie Vi's house (perhaps Christmas Eve at one house and Christmas Day at the other) (or perhaps they alternated every year) I don't recall, however, I do remember Auntie Vi's Christmas Tree. It always sat in front of her floor to ceiling front window, it was always flocked and it always had one of these on it...
A rotating Christmas tree spot light! Imagine if you will a flocked tree that changed colors as the light rotated. I found this light on ebay and man if I had an extra penny, I sure would have bought it along with the flocked tree to go with it! I remember as a little girl watching their tree change color in amazement, as the house was bustling with amazing Swedish cooks, generations of Aunts, Uncles, and cousins, and pure holiday bliss. I also loved to just peek behind the tree and watch the light go round. My Aunt had a full wall limestone fireplace with various bricks that stuck out...on every little brick sat holiday elves: Little tiny ones all in red and green. There were the best Swedish pastries and always an abundance of delicious food. I wonder when they were preparing for the holiday's if they knew it would stick with me 30 years later?!?
What was your favorite childhood holiday memory?

2 comments:

HeatherPride said...

Hahaha!!! We had one of those trees at our church and the colors hypnotized me every year!! I haven't seen one of those things in ages!

JC said...

I love reading this memory. We had one of the first silver trees. I still remember that tree. We couldn't afford the spotlight but still it was beautiful to a little girl. Thanks for sharing.