Thursday, October 16, 2008

The literal world of Autism...

I really should be posting this on my ketchup only blog...but I'm posting it here, just cuz I thought it was so darn cute and such a good example of the literal thinking that goes along with being autistic. Yesterday, as I was observing in a classroom, there was this most handsome and darling boy that said not one but two things...that were very typically autistic. At first he was building a block structure and was explaining to the social worker that he was building the Eiffel Tower. Not to let a teachable moment pass, the Social Worker said to him, "Do you know where the Eiffel Tower is?" He looked at her and responded very matter of factly, "It's right here, I'm building it!" She walked right into that one for sure! Later this same boy was struggling with his para desperately trying to avoid doing his math work. Finally he looked up at the para and said, "Exactly how long is this going to be hard for me?" Bless his heart...if only he knew! Numbers are still not my friend...as was evidenced last night with my daughter asking for help simplifying fractions. Really? Who needs to know that and why? Finally I found a website that allowed her to "Check her work" when I was sure I couldn't come up with the answer. Actually, I was right on all the questions she asked me...but she didn't believe me, so I had to use the internet to prove to my 7th grader that I could, in fact, simply fractions with the best of 'em!

Until next time...

1 comment:

HeatherPride said...

I love that, "it's right here"! ha! Like, can't you see it, lady?