Wednesday, October 3, 2007

It's good to have roots


This past week we recognized

the 9th anniversary of my father-in-laws death. Is the estate settled yet, you ask? Of course not, but that's a story for another day. Anyway...the Ruch side has quite a family story where their burial is concerned. My husband's great-great grandpa Ruch owned a very large farm in Monroe, Wi. He ended up losing the farm during bankruptcy in the 1800's. Greenwood Cemetery purchased the land from the bank and hence the old Ruch farm is the current Greenwood Cemetery. Part of the settlement was that the cemetery allotted a family plot to the Ruch Family. So what is interesting at least to me, is that there are 4 generations of Ruch's there. Kevin's dad, his grandparents, great grandparents, and great-great grandparents. How odd is that in this day and age, that you can go to one cemetery and see so many generations? For me personally, I don't even know the name of my grandparent's parents, let alone what cemetery they are in or their birth and death dates. As we left the cemetery I approached my husband that I think we should be buried there also, adding a 5th generation to the chain. He thought that was a pretty neat idea. (As far as ideas about burials go) So...on my list to do this week is to contact the cemetery to check into that. On an equally somber note, my Aunt Ruth is in her last days. Got the call yesterday that she is on O2 now and in organ shutdown. It won't be long now. God Speed Aunt Ruth. Everyone in our family will surely miss this wonderful lady. I am grateful that I've had two wonderful visits with her in the last 10 months. She ranks very high on my list of favorite people and will be truly missed. Until next time...

No comments: