Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hi Poppy!

Please accommodate my sense of humor here, as sometimes you have to get through difficult days with humor... As I mentioned earlier, my Dad has been in the hospital this week after taking a fall at the nursing home. We finally got to go see him today. He was pretty coherent today, had a bit of a sense of humor, and seemed to know who we were. He was quite calm and didn't pace much. He still sleeps in other people's rooms (as is quite typical) and refuses to move when asked. We found him in another room and coaxed him to his own room. This is such a nice hospital and they take such good care of him there. The staff is always so kind and understanding. Kristina said, I wish he could live there mom...it doesn't smell :( On Monday, I am going to check with the one home in Byron that said they could take him and see if we can transition him there. I am just not happy with the care he is getting at the present home. As his needs increase, I think he needs higher quality of care, as evidenced by his fall.

When you enter the hospital, this sign always makes me chuckle....
Now, if you know my Dad, you know he does have a high elopement risk, cuz he is always in the ladies' rooms! They constantly have to chase him out. So believe me...if he could get one of those ladies to elope...he sure would!

We took the girls with today and we all had a nice visit...
When I said all of our names to him, I finished up saying 'Jackson' which is what he often called me....when I said 'Jackson' a big smile came across his face. That made me feel really good.
I don't know whose blue jeans he had on and neither did he! All I know is they're not his. I've never seen him in jeans before and it sure looked funny! Besides they were about 6 inches too short. Perhaps he was sporting some Capri's for spring. I told him I'd get to the Penney's outlet to look for some Small Tall Sweat Pants for him, if they do indeed make a 'small tall' He chuckled when I said that! He (despite the black eye and healing head wounds) looked really good. His arm is getting so much better, just in the short time he's been in the hospital. They have him very nicely regulated with medication, yet not dopey.
We thought perhaps if we put the visitor tag on him, we could sneak him out for a good meal of Swedish Cooking Sausage and Lutfisk. He said Ya, to the sausage, but no! to the Lutfisk :) :) :)
Yup! He was definitely in there today. If we can get him closer to home, that would be one of the many benefits: that I could cook for him. Nursing home food is ... well, nursing home food. Yuck! I wouldn't eat much of it either. Although it's always sad for me to leave Poppy, I sure felt better having seen him and knowing that he is making a speedy recovery with a great staff.
Before the visit, Steph had softball practice. She pitched today and didn't do too bad for not having pitched in the last year and a half! Her team however, leaves a bit to be desired and if the coach doesn't pick up the coaching skills, I feel I have no choice but to sign on as assistant coach. You KNOW!!!! I do not have time for that, but nor do I have time for kids that can't catch and when they miss the ball, they slowly walk over to get it.... WHAT!!!!????!!!!!
RUN!!! I can tell right now that I am not going to be reasonable at the games if these girls walk to get the ball. So, perhaps coaching is in my future...Really, I'd like the coach to do the coaching job...but it's Steph's last year, and I'd surely like her to have a chance!
Until next time...


3 comments:

Catherine said...

When we think about Alzheimer, we think about old persons. In fact your father doesn't look old! What a sadness! But you're right, he seems very well on your pictures, very present in the event. On holidays, I've seen a notice in the street showing a picture of an old woman who have disapeared for a week! How lost must have been her family!
Concerning softball, make them RUN!
I see you keep taking pictures during your car moves! Always the camera in your pocket?
Have a nice Mother's day. My move is in 15 days!

Catherine said...

Sorry, I've made a mistake, I meant my turn. Our Mother's day is in 2 weeks from here in France. Why? I can't explain.

Candi Tardio said...

so sweet how your father recognized 'jackson'....