Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sweets from my sweet :)

What can be better than coming home after a 15 hour day to my precious one saying, "Mom, I got you some ice cream." And off she ran to the freezer to share with me this...Today was 31 cent scoop day at Baskin Robbins, and since we have a new BR within walking distance, Kristina and a bunch of friends walked over for their 31 cent scoops. Wasn't it nice for her to remember her mama? (Especially since she bought me Raspberry and Chocolate) My favorite! I haven't had any yet, but plan to tonight...yumm!
So, some of you know that I am a firm believer in the love and logic approach to parenting. In fact, this is the approach I use when facilitating my parent groups with treatment resistant kids, and it works...very well I might add. But here's the deal...as my children get older, I find myself finding it harder and harder to let go. Since my oldest in in high school she is, at this point, supposed to be responsible for her own decisions and for the natural life consequences that go with them. I find my self justifying quite a bit, when I 'pick up the pieces' for her, since she is such a great kid. For instance...the other day she forgot that her Art's apprenticeship application was due. So at the last minute when I'm supposed to be leaving for school, I'm driving downtown to drop it off instead. Now, the logical consequence would have been for me to do it when I had time, but then, she risks not having an apprenticeship over the summer, which could be bad for her scholarship opportunities. So...am I saving her? or saving me? And the toughest part is...she's a great kid...respectful, helpful, responsible, great student, loving...so we all make mistakes...and sometimes, I have to pick up the pieces for her. Same for Nina. The real struggle is Brennan. I have the Parenting with love and logic for your special needs child which I really, really need to read. Logical consequences would be for me to not nag him to do his homework and for him to flunk. I REALLY can't let him do that. I have 2 straight A girls, and 1 struggling boy. That is the challenge. I often find myself saying with Stephanie, well she's only in 9th grade...when she's in 10th grade, then that will be ok...But of course the book doesn't say 10th grade, it says high school. Ahhhhh, the struggles. Yesterday, we got the cell phone bill. Thank God for unlimited texts, incoming, and family calls, cuz my eldest sure did use 3000 minutes!! We'll just call her chatty cathy from now on! (Most of these were texts of course which are unlimited) My husband nearly had a stroke...as I said...when you were 15 were you not on the phone ALL the time? Cuz I sure was! Nope, he mumbled something about paper routes, mowing, shoveling....blah, blah, blah...For me...it was the phone...as I guess it will be for Steph ;)
Mid terms came out today....Stephanie 4 A's 1 B. Kristina 4 A+'s 2 A's, Brennan 4 F's...and so it goes...
Until next time...

2 comments:

Amy said...

I agree with Love and Logic principals. I also find it hard to allow all the natural consequences to reach my children. I recently attended a parenting seminar that used Deuteronomy 6: 1-9. The speakers pointed out that God instructs us to love God above all, but as parents we are tempted to put our children first. Sometimes this means that we "protect" them from consequences instead of allowing God to teach them. I was very convicted by this passage.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Catherine said...

As parents, we always do our best. My daughter Alexandra is just like Brennan. She's soon 16 and hasn't realize yet the necessity of working hard. I wonder if she will be concious one day! Beside this, she gets other good qualities, a very good mind, good-natured, very loyal, self-confident. So, I suppose with these others qualities she will succeed in her life. Not the way everybody do, but by an other manner. One thing is sure, right now, classical studies are not the better way to interest her. After years and years, helping her, "following" her in her studies, I gave up. We would better find an other interest than "classic" studies.
I mean all children are not ready to enter in study process. Others realize beautiful careers with original cursus. As long as their parents believe in them, and encourage them. That's life!