Monday, January 21, 2008

To the Dr. We Go...

Today, I made another Dr. appointment for Kristina. Her skin couldn't look any worse (or feel any worse) and I just have been feeling like a 'bad mom' because for the life of me I can't make it better! The poor girl has been on Steroid creams (3 different ones) for about the past 6 months {Yep, that's right, the ones you are not supposed to use for more than a week} with very limited results. I have bought about every kind of cream, salve, ointment, lotion, potion, chapstick, moisturizer and even bought a humidifier to add more humidity to our air and still--- MAJOR BREAKOUT! Today, it (the eczema) began to spread to her neck and reappeared on the back of her legs and I had had enough! Oh, did I mention that both {Yes BOTH!} (The booming town of Rockford evidently has 2 whole dermatologists) Anyway, both dermatologists could not see my precious girl for a month!! So, I called the old faithful pediatrician and got an appointment for today. I was really worrying that maybe she was getting an immuno something because it appears her body is attacking itself. He reassured me that it is indeed Eczema...about the worse case he had seen...and even brought the medical student in to look at it :( And prescribed yet more medicine. (Could one of these possibly work? Now would be good!) He tested it on her there in the office to be sure it doesn't burn [which it didn't] with his most tender Dr. touch :) He then showed her how to use a waterless skin cleanser and applied another new type of lotion that we need to get. He loaded us up with samples, gave me a $30 off the 'copay' coupon (never a good sign) and then advised that he wasn't too sure my insurance would pay for this med cuz it's new. WELLLLL, let me tell you if it works, I'll get a second, no wait, third, no wait I already have three, a fourth job to pay for it! So tonight, we put on the med, the cream, the cleaner, and took the two meds by mouth and sent her to bed. Oh, did I mention she is banned from bathing? Ummmm, and going outside? Yes, no baths, no recess, until the skin is under control. (Hense the waterless cleanser) [He did remind her to still wash the important parts though:) ] (Uggggghhhhh! Too much information I know!) Pray for my precious one's skin. She needs some healing and so do I! I came home tonight from my appointment and she had cleaned the kitchen top to bottom. I put all her new meds on, lotioned her up, and tucked her in bed. She laid there with most relaxed look I had seen in the past few weeks, because evidently nothing was hurting her for a change. Good night my precious one. Until next time...

1 comment:

Grammie said...

Oh my goodness! Every time I itch my bumps on my head and back and put on my Cortizone Lotion that gives me a reprieve from the itch, I think of Kristina...how awful it must be not to be able to stop the itch and the pain. My Dermatologist in Rockford was a lady and she was great..Dr. Bana, or something like that. She perscribed some very, very expensive lotion..I think I gave you a bottle, Jacque. It worked, but it burned! Tell Kristina that her Grammie and Pa,pa Larry are praying for her everyday and we love her very much..yo mama