Tuesday, November 6, 2007

bowling, cheerleading, studying, and surgery?

This title is a synopsis of my kids lives right now. As I look at their terrific report cards, it is evident to me that it doesn't come easily. Stephanie sits for at least 2 hours a night doing homework that is above me (with almost a masters degree!) so I am unable to help. Dad helps sometimes with the algebra, and my niece helps with science on occasion. Stephanie started bowling tryouts yesterday and said to me, "Mom...I am not a good bowler." "Do you want to quit?" I asked, "No, I'm just not good." I told her to stick it out through the week as they play 3 games a day for 5 days and after all that practice she may surprise herself. The bowling coach said that they are not necessarily looking for the best bowlers but the kids that are teachable and have a good attitude. That is definitely Steph, so time will tell.

We got Kristina's cheer leading practice schedule and it is on Saturday's from 1 -3. Hooray! I will be able to go....love that. Last year, Grandma had to take her every week, and I was only able to make a few games, so I find this very exciting! Will post a million pics once she gets her new super cute uniform....Kristina has applied to join the book club. Stephanie was in the book club in middle school and liked it. Kristina reads every day, some times for hours. If I had the time...you'd find me with a book all of the time! Right now, I can be found with the DSM-IV (the book that diagnoses mental illness--that I have for class right now) It is not very exciting reading, but I am learning a lot in this class. Next semester I start electives so that will be great. I'm taking the exceptional child and family violence. Oh, I shouldn't say that family violence sounds great, but these two classes will teach me what I need to know to help struggling special ed kids and families that live within the confines of domestic violence, so that is a good thing. Both girls are feeling better after the 24 hour bug, but I am not---hope I don't get it.

Yesterday I worked, ran Brennan to the Dr., dropped off Steph's latest fund raiser at RVC, dropped her off at bowling and then went to CHASI. After that (whew!) I came home to crash. I had planned to do laundry and clean the cat box, but really needed a nap. Kristina announced dinner was ready (kudos to my husband!) and I said I'm not hungry...what are we having? Steak she announced.... hmmmm, maybe I'm hungry after all! So, we all ate Steak and corn together (yes that was the menu, but one doesn't complain when it is made by someone else:). After that I felt renewed, I cleaned the cat box aka poop cage, swept the basement floor, folded two loads of laundry and washed two, read a chapter of homework and got a bit organized for today. Hooray! I farted around a bit on my new face book page, which I really don't know anything about, but am trying to learn, and also tried once again, unsuccessfully, to add a photo to the title of this blog. Just can't figure it out. My brother will be in town this weekend, so hopefully he can help with that.

Brennan is having custom orthotics made hence the Dr's appointment yesterday. My insurance doesn't pay for them of course, but he desperately needs them, so to the Dr. we went. Wow have times changed. When I had mine made, they made a casting of my foot. Now, they have a digital pad that you stand on, and then walk on so your orthotics will be custom enough to adjust to your gait. Amazing. I believe surgery is down the road for Brennan's poor right foot, that is all but collapsing and causing him pretty constant pain. I will know more when we meet with the Dr. again. I think he will have the surgery this summer, either at UW Madison or at Mayo's to have an implant put in his foot to support his collapsing ankle. Crazy! Poor guy. He's not excited about surgery, but would be excited to live without pain. What's neat is his Dr. just had the surgery over the summer, so she knows first hand all about it. Surgery is scary and a bummer for him, but I do think its necessary. At this point, his ankle looks as if it goes to the left of his foot instead of into his foot. Doesn't sound very comfortable does it? Hence....the impending surgery. On a lighter note, Brennan has gotten very good notes from his teachers all week (last week) and is making a renewed effort to "keep" the A+'s he started the quarter with. We always give him the talk that at the beginning of a semester you have A+'s. Wether or not you choose to keep them starts and ends with you. He seemed excited about this concept and is working hard to keep those A's!

Finally, we started catering at work, finally so my kitchen duty is greatly reduced, which gives me a chance to catch up on my desk. Feeling much better about that thankfully. It was a busy, busy Monday, and I'm ready to move onto a busy, busy Tuesday! Have a great day!

No comments: