Friday, November 9, 2007

Two things I'm thinking about

Yesterday as I was driving somewhere, either to work, from work, to internship, to restaurant to pick up a receipt that I lost, from internship, to Stephanie's school to pick her up, or to home....can't really remember when, but I was pondering the wonderful friendships I have in my life. In my 30's I was always envious of people that had 'girlfriends' that they could do fun stuff with, talk to, laugh with, cry with, and confide in. I had 3 babies at that time, and life just seemed too busy to participate in such frivolity. I recall having friendships, but they were fleeting for the most part and nothing compared to what I have today. So...anyway, yesterday I was driving....uh....somewhere, and started thinking. I was thinking how lucky I am to have Sarah, Angie, and Carlene and how I think that they are just the neatest people, and how there is just not one thing I would like to change about any of them :) OK, those of you that know me well, know that I can be a bit intolerant at times, and tend to be a little picky about who I invest my time in...all goes back to the huge trust issues I have really trusting anybody, especially someone that I'm not married to or related to and have a choice about having in my life. So, there is Angie, my friend who is just like me, and lucky for the world that maybe that there are only two of us :) As Angie says...it takes one to know one! and Sarah, who is SO not just like me, but I love her for everything that she is, that I am not and I love her for her creativity and bubbly personality and sweetness....I do think that we are some of the best mom's I know...(that goes for Angie too) and perhaps that is why we are so close, because there is no greater gift for us than to be wives and moms. The three of us could talk and marvel for hours about our terrific kids. And then there's Carleen, my newest friend. I love Carleen because her sarcasm and sense of humor equals mine, along with the fact that we are both future social workers and are living through this crazy work, school, internship time together. Even though we are working about every waking minute, we still take time to email, text, blog, whatever it is to keep in touch. We hit it off right away and even though she lives in 'Chicago' (inside joke) I imagine we'll be friends long after school is done. Carleen is an unusual friend in that although she works with kids, she doesn't have kids, and I have learned a lot from her regarding the perspective of making the choice to not have kids, and to be ok with that. Carleen offers me a different fresh perspective on life, we have so much of the same tastes and likes, and even intolerances :) So...today I'm feeling super blessed to have 3 of the best friends a girl could ask for.

The final thought for today, is a comment my husband made yesterday. At times he is so profound when he shares with me what he is thinking. We were talking about what my next internship would be, and I was saying that perhaps I would dabble in some forensic social work, working hand in hand with the police department in interviewing and counseling severely abused and traumatized children through the Carrie Lynn Children's center. And my super neat husband said, "Well, I just want you to be careful what you choose, because I don't want you to become hardened and calloused with all the bad that you will see. I want you to remain caring, loving, and bubbly as you are now, in your new career." OK, so that guy can bring tears to my eyes at the drop of a hat! So nice to know that we are in this whole education thing together and even through the craziness (and it IS crazy!) that he is always thinking about what's best for me and for us. Gotta love him! (Even though he sure ripped the butt out of another pair of pants yesterday!) How does he do it? Who knows, he didn't even know he ripped them until he felt yet another "draft"---- Enough said....until next time.

No comments: